Powered By Blogger

Friday 14 August 2015

Hallowe'en ideas for 6th Class

"Hi Claire, I am currently researching Halloween Art for 6th class students. I just saw your blog post on Halloween art and I found it really interesting. Do you have any advice on Halloween Art for 6th Class boys? I am not very good at Art so very conscious. Many Thanks"

I don't have much experience with 6th class- so here are a few ideas I thought of/found online. If any 6th class teachers out there can contribute that would be great!

Drawing/Paint and Colour:


I would begin the lesson discussing Halloween colours- what would be good for a creepy/erie background?
The children could then work on a silhouette style creepy Hallowe'en picture. 

I found this painting online:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRINT-OF-ORIGINAL-HALLOWEEN-PAINTING-5-25-X-8-25-RYTA-CAT-VINTAGE-STYLE-ART-/390622566186?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item5af2eb572a


It would be fun to play a scary Hallowe'en soundtrack in the background- they are normally available in pound shops in October.

Fabric and Fibre:

I really like this idea, it would be great as a collaboration piece. Using a wooden board, the children decide on a simple Hallowe'en shape. 

Tacks are hammered in on the lines. This is where health and safety comes into it- judge the class yourself. It might be best to rotate each group up to you to supervise this.

Finally- they just wind the string around the tacks. It creates a very effective Hallowe'en decoration.

I found this example on Pinterest-
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/437904763741726312/

Construction

Make Paper Mache hands, using latex gloves as a mould. Think of "IT" from The Adams Family- they could make them so gruesome.

Plaster of Paris is also so easy to use. It can be purchased from Cork Art Supplies. Fill the golve with air and tie. Cut the plaster of Paris into strips, dip in water and stick to the glove. It dries hard and repeat the next layer. 

I can only imagine the pranks 6th Class boys would do with these!! :D 

In my (very limited) experience with 6th class, I found that by that stage they are bored of paper plates and glue sticks. Keep their interest by introducing new materials to the art class- chalk and oil pastels, a variety of paper, clay tools, charcoal, a variety of pencil shades (2H, 2B and 5B are a good start). Give them choice and responsibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment